Thursday, August 21, 2008

school days

School is back in session and while I know the kids are kind of excited to start the new year. I am not so sure that I am ready for all the homework, schedules, and packing lunches. I got used to our carefree summer lifestyle of playing late in to the night and then sleeping in with really no order or schedule to our days we just did what we felt like. It was nice. Now we are back to business, well kind of anyway. Our first 2 nights after school started were spent at 7 peaks and out on the lake. I guess we have to ease ourselves back into the rigid structured lifestyle we are embarking on. So starting this week we will officially be back to business and I will try my hardest to be the responsible mother that I know is in me.... somewhere.

Canyon got the best teacher this year for 3rd grade we are so excited. After 3 years of hoping he finally got in the same class with his friend Felix (pictured above). He has a battle wound to show off for the first day. He got a huge burn leaning up against a hot motorcycle...ouch!

Ellie hasn't started school yet but she had her kindergarten testing and thought that was official enough for some pictures. She is such a funny girl. She was trying to convince me that if she was going to the school that she needed her lap top. We finally came to a compromise that she would leave it in the truck for the testing. The test went great when she was asked to write her name I think she was on a mission to impress. She wrote Ellie and then the teacher was ready to move on to the next thing but she continued to keep going writing Apsen and would not stop until the X in Cox was completed. Then she looked up with a big smile and said "There that's my name". When all the testing was over she hopped back in the truck whipped out the lab top and started typing. I asked her what she was doing she said homework. I guess she is ready for Kindergarten. I have a feeling she won't miss me very much.

Ellie with her homework companion

7 comments:

Rock's said...

Watch out...Ellie will be the next school president! ha! She's so cute! Yea for Canyon getting a good teacher. That really makes all the difference in school! So are the Atkinson's living close to you guys?

Heather said...

It's so unfair that the kindergarteners, who are the most excited, have to wait an extra week and a half. It's going to be a long three days for Drew. Canyon and Felix were in the hall while Drew did his K testing. They are lucky not to have the drill sergeant teacher in the class next to them.

Jason, Holli, Lizzie and Zach said...

your little boy has the skinniest legs I have ever seen. Cute!

harmony said...

I'm with you on the whole 'back to a schedule' thing. It's nice to have the kids to bed by 9:00 again. Well, I try to at least. Canyon looks like he's enjoying it so far and Ellie just cracks me up. I love the Barbie lap top. She's always been a smarty pants. Hang on.

Shortcake and Company said...

I love the whole lap top thing. I could totally picture her packing it around...very cute. Good luck Ellie and Canyon--hope you have a grrrrrreat year!

heidi said...

Canyon looks so grown up..i thought maybe he was covering up some new tats on his leg. last time we were @ Huntington beach i was joking with jake saying you want get a tattoo today.. he ended up having a fit the rest of the day cause he really thought he was going to get one..todd was like "way to go, heidi". ooops. guess todd and i aren't the best example to explain why he can't have one.
anyway, i got the tickets!!
I'm pretty excited! lov ya.

Chelsea said...

Ellie...you are such a funny girl. That is too funny of a story. I love the picture of Canyon because you can see all his missing teeth. So funny.